Life Care Planning is a TEAM approach to organizing care for a loved one with a chronic, progressive, and/or debilitating illness. It is a service that helps people access and pay for quality care and provides guidance while navigating the healthcare maze with the assistance of:
- Elder Law Attorneys
- Medicaid and VA Paralegal
- Geriatric Social Worker
A Life Care Plan answers three questions:
- How do you access all benefits available to you and understand which coverage or benefits pay for which service?
- How do you protect the maximum resources and income so that expensive long-term care costs do not consume lifetime savings, thereby preserving assets for your spouse and/or children?
- How does a person with a chronic illness access and pay for good long-term care?
What are the objectives of Life Care Planning?
- CREATE estate and disability planning documents
- AMEND and MODIFY current estate planning documents due to changing health issues
- REVIEW and NEGOTIATE housing, health care, long term care insurance and disability contracts
- IDENTIFY care resources and goals
- ACCESS quality care and services
- MAINTAIN elders’ control of decision making
- PROTECT the healthy spouse and any dependents
- COORDINATE health providers
- PROVIDE on-going education, support and advocacy
- PREVENT crises by early intervention
- ADDRESS fear of isolation, outliving assets, unwanted life support
- MAXIMIZE resources
What is the Process?
- SET GOALS through a comprehensive assessment of home, caregiver, estate, benefits, care needs and financial situation
- ANALYZE financial and health care information to help with crucial decision-making
- APPLY funds to help maintain independence and choice
- PROVIDE ongoing advocacy and monitoring to maximize well being, dignity and quality of life
Who Benefits from a Life Care Plan?
- ELDERS maintain control as long as possible
- CAREGIVERS secure quality care
- FAMILY is supported and has peace of mind that a professional advocate is a phone call away
Maser, Amundson & Boggio, P.A. was the first law firm in Minnesota to offer this comprehensive life care planning process to their clients and families.